Disciples Must Avoid Worldly Activities
‘I have not sat with idolatrous mortals, Nor will I go in with hypocrites. I have hated the assembly of evildoers, And will not sit with the wicked.’ ~ Psalms 26:4-5
The world is full of those who profess to be Disciples and yet love the world and its pleasures.
As a true Disciple of Jesus, you now are not as they. You are now a new creature with entirely different desires and motives. You now live for the Glory of God and whatever you do, you do in the name of Jesus Christ!
What types of things should we stay away from? What type of events should a Disciple be a part of? Should we hang out with wicked people? Should we segregate ourselves completely?
Disciples Do Not Watch Evil Or Worthless Things
Psalms 101:3 ~ I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
- David refers to particular works that are of those people who turn from the truth. He says that as a righteous man he hates these things and will never put anything unrighteous or evil in front of his eyes.
- The Disciple must also take this attitude because in today’s society there is so much media and entertainments that are full of wickedness and the works of those who turn aside from truth.
- Movies, theatre, and television are the major ways that the devil gets wickedness to cleave onto people and infect their minds. The true Disciple will not be ignorant of this and will guard against all unrighteous entertainments!
Job 31:1 ~ I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?
- As Job, Disciples also must make a covenant with their eyes that they will not think or look upon a beautiful girl.
- Today’s television shows and movies are directly set on getting you to break this covenant. They are full of scantily dressed women and must be forsaken if we want to escape hell.
Isaiah 33:14-15 ~ Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? He that… stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil.
- Through todays media, entertainment, the internet, theatre, etc. Satan seeks to fill our ears and eyes with evil and violent things. As Disciples, we must do everything possible to ensure he does not succeed!
- The choice to stand against these things will result in great reward. God says that the Disciples who make the choice to stop their ears and eyes from digesting evil things will escape the wrath to come and dwell with him eternally!
Psalms 119:36-37 ~ Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity [shav: worthlessness]; and quicken thou me in thy way.
- The Bible says that we must not only turn away from looking at wicked things but we must also refrain from coveting and running after things that are worthless or things that offer no profit to our souls or the souls of others.
- Examples of vain pursuits of pleasure in today’s world are traveling the world, video gaming, power-sports, festivals, professional sports, fiction novels, and a multitude of other things the world terms hobbies. These things suck up the time and resources God has given us to minister to sinners and help other Disciples.
- The true Disciple, as David, rather cries out to God to be set free from coveting after these things. He desires instead to have his heart completely inclined to doing the will of God and those things that please him and will bear fruit in his Kingdom.
Disciples Must Only Partake In Virtuous Activities
Philippians 4:8 ~ Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- Disciples are commanded to have high standards for the things they indulge in. The Bible here gives us a specific list of tests we must run our activities by to see if they are things we should participate in.
- When we are about to do or view something we should remember this test and simply consider whether the thing we are about to view or indulge in is honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, or worthy of praise.
- If the activity passes the test then joyously partake, but if it does not pass this test, then as all true Disciples, take up your cross, deny yourself, and follow your Master. Then sit back and enjoy the great peace of God that surpasses all understanding!
1 Corinthians 10:19-21 ~ What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils.
- The activities of the world are orchestrated by Satan and are setup to honor him and his agenda of keeping people bound in sin. If we choose to indulge in Satan’s activities and entertainments then we seek to drink from his cup at the same time as we drink from God’s cup.
- God says this is not acceptable. As Disciples, we must choose one side or another but we cannot have both! Either choose the worldly activities and drink from the devils cup or choose the Lord’s Supper with his disciples but not both! It is for this reason that the Word of God is spoken of as evil among the sinners.
Disciples Do Not Attend The Events Of The Wicked
Psalms 26:4-5 ~ I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers. I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
- Disciples do not participate in activities that involve large gatherings of sinners. They hate these types of assemblies and they refuse to sit with the wicked.
- Sure, they will go to these events to preach the truth and share the gospel with lost souls but they will not be at these events to sit and enjoy themselves in a multitude of sinners.
1 Corinthians 15:33-34 ~ Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
- Disciples know that they cannot attend such events in a passive manner or they will be corrupted.
2 Corinthians 6:14 ~ Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
- As Disciples, what do we now have in common with these multitudes of sinners gathering for pleasure? Nothing! Therefore, do not be yoked together with them in their pursuits of pleasure.
Romans 1:32 ~ Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
- Scripture says it is not enough that we ourselves choose to live holy and reject the immoral life of a rock star, professional sports star, Hollywood actor, etc.
- We must also not take pleasure in or seek to be entertained by those who do live like this! Do we look up to people who hate our God? Can we idolize these immoral people before our children and teach them to take pleasure in their ungodly lives? God Forbid!
Disciples Abstain From Anything That Even Looks Evil
1 Corinthians 10:32-33 ~ Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
- The heart of a Disciple is radically different from the world in that it does not seek its own profit or pleasure but is constantly seeking the profit of others.
- As Disciples, our prime objective is to win the world to Jesus and save souls. Therefore, we must always consider whether the things we do will offend anyone or cause the truth to be looked down upon.
1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 ~ Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.
- Yes, we are to prove all things by the test we saw above and only hold fast to or partake in those things that are good and pass the test but we are also to stay far away from anything that even looks slightly evil even though it may be completely innocent.
- An example of this might be playing Christian music of a certain genre. Sure, with your headphones on there may be no harm and you may be greatly edified. However, if you are driving down the street blasting some of these beats it may appear evil and you could lose your witness.
2 Corinthians 6:3 ~ Giving no offence in anything, that the ministry be not blamed.
- Remember, we have received a great ministry to the lost of the world and all eyes are on us!
- In everything we do, we must consider whether or not it will cause others to have a negative view of the great Truths we profess.
Disciples Must Remain In The World But Not Love It
1 Corinthians 13:4&6 ~ Charity [agape: love]… rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth.
- A Disciples heart is a heart that has been filled with true love for God and others.
- This love will manifest itself in that it does not rejoice or take any pleasure in things that are sinful or have any appearance of sinfulness.
- Rather, the heart of a Disciple will rejoice in the Truth and in things that tend towards goodness, purity and the salvation of others.
1 John 2:15-16 ~ Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- If any of us loves the things of the world, the love of the Father cannot exist in their heart. According to these Scriptures, it is an utter impossibility.
- If we find ourselves involved in vain pursuits of pleasure, activities with crowds of sinners, or watching entertainments consisting of violence, immodesty, etc., let us consider that according to God’s Word, we do not have the love of God in us.
Matthew 5:14-16 ~ Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
- In conclusion, it is important that when we come to an understanding on these things we do not simply head for the hills. Many have done this and have chosen to leave the cities and go live out in the countryside far away from evil people, where they and their families will not be tainted.
- This is clearly not God’s will for us. Jesus said that we are the light of the world and we must not go off and hide that light. So do not head for the hills! Jesus came down from his heavenly sanctuary to dwell with sinners that they might be saved. As he needed Jesus, God also needs you and your family in areas where sinners can see and view your good works and repent unto the glory of our Father.
- Moreover, remember the words of our Master…
John 17:15 ~ I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
- Jesus prayer and desire for us was not that we would be physically removed from any influence of evil but rather that we would be protected from the evil as we sought to shine brightly for God and his Kingdom.
- If you are fully focused on winning the souls of sinners to our Father and making disciples in a corrupt world, then you have nothing to fear! God has surely heard the prayer of his Son and he will keep you and your family from evil. For if we cannot rely on the prayers of Christ what can we rely on?