Seeking After God & His Kingdom
‘What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?’ ~ Mark 8:36
We have learned that the Kingdom of God is the great restoration plan set in motion by the creator. If this is so, then what should be the most important thing in our lives? Can we know that if we seek the Kingdom we will find it? What if we put off seeking after God and his Kingdom?
Seeking God & His Kingdom Is The Most Important Thing
If such a wonderful future is a reasonable attainment, should we not make this the greatest goal and purpose in life!
Mark 8:36 ~ What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
- Is there really anything in the world that can compare to the Kingdom of God? What could possibly be more important?
- What would be the profit, even if you were to gain the top position on this present earth, but you lost immortality in the Kingdom?
Romans 2:5-6 ~ God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
- Seeking after The Kingdom is like embarking on a great quest. It is a most noble quest to obtain glory, honor, and immortality! This is no video game. This is real!
- The Kingdom will only be given to those who patiently continue this quest through living holy lives full of good works.
Matthew 6:9-10 ~ After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come…
- When Jesus taught us how to pray, he placed praying for God’s Kingdom to come as number two in importance on our prayer list. This was second only to God being glorified on the earth.
- This consuming desire to see God’s Kingdom come should take a prominent position in our prayers and longings!
Matthew 13:44 ~ The kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
- When you truly let the good news of the Kingdom sink deep into your heart a great passion and desire to obtain it should take place.
- If you really believe this message, you will begin to place very little value on everything else in your life and count these things as rubbish for joy of your newfound treasure!
Hebrews 13:14 ~ For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.
- Everything we have in this life will soon be gone. Everything is subject to corruption, theft, and eventual loss including our own lives.
- If this is so, shouldn’t we then seek the City / Kingdom to come?
We Must Diligently Keep Our Focus On Eternal Things
Luke 12:15 ~ Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
- We need to be very careful about desiring material possessions because these have no true lasting value. Nothing that is eternally important can be seen by the human eye.
Luke 12:29-31 ~ Seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
- Not only should we not seek after possessions but also we should put a very low priority on ensuring we have food and drink. The eternal things far outweigh our basic needs here on earth.
- God knows you need these things and he has promised that if you will make the interests of his Kingdom first in your life that he will take care of all these things for you.
- Remember, the entire world is seeking after these earthly things and very few are seeking after God and his Kingdom. He takes great pleasure in the few who are seeking and they will surely not lack any good thing!
John 6:27 ~ Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you.
- Do not put all your time and energy working hard for things that will fade away. There are things you can labor for and invest in that will last forever and result in eternal life. Put your efforts into these things!
Colossians 3:1-4 ~ Seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
- Seek the eternal things with all your heart. Do this by constantly thinking about these things and meditating on them.
- If we ensure our life is all about Christ and the things above, then when he comes back we will also experience glory with him.
With Great Passion God Desires Us To Inherit The Kingdom
Psalms 14:2 ~ The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
- God is always searching for people who understand the truth and are seeking after him. He really wants to bless these people!
Acts 17:25-27 ~ He giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us.
- The places we live and even the time in which we live has been pre-determined by God so that we would seek after him and find him.
- Everything that has happened in our lives has been an orchestrated plan to get us to seek and find God. He greatly desires you to find him!
Luke 12:32 ~ Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
- It is not Gods desire that any person perish and miss out on the Kingdom. God is the ultimate giver and it gives him great pleasure to give the Kingdom to his people.
- Because of this, we should not fear that God is not with us in this journey. He is actually cheering us on in the heavens and greatly desiring that you will make it to the finish line and receive the reward!
Have Faith – God Promises All Who Seek Will Find
Jer 29:13 ~ Ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
- It is a for sure promise you can rely on, that if you will put your entire heart into seeking after God, you will not be left disappointed. You will surely find God!
Matt 7:7-8 ~ Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
- God is no respecter of persons. There is not a special class or race of people that can find God. He promises that everyone who seeks after him will find him regardless of race, sex, location, etc.
Deuteronomy 4:27&29 &30:4 ~ Ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the LORD shall lead you. But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee.
- You may be in a position where because of your sins and backsliding you have become cursed so greatly that it seems like there is no hope.
- God promises that even from there if you will only seek him and his kingdom with all your heart that he will receive you. You will surely find The Truth and be brought back to a right relationship with him.
Hebrews 11:6 ~ Without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
- If we want to inherit the Kingdom, we must believe that God and the things he has revealed exist. We must have a great faith that he will surely reward all those who forsake their own desires and passionately seek after him.
If We Put Off Seeking Darkness May Overtake Us
2 Chronicles 15:2 ~ The LORD is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you.
- Although we have all these great promises about finding God and his kingdom, God has also given us strong warnings that we cannot make light of the opportunities we have been given.
- Yes, we have been put into particular places and times so that we would seek after him, but if we choose rather to seek our own pleasures, God will completely forsake us and leave us to our own destructive paths.
John 12:35 ~ Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
- Jesus warned us that everyone is only given a certain amount of time in life to seek after God. This is their window of opportunity. This time is called ‘while you have the light’.
- During this time, it is crucial that you take advantage of the fact that God is speaking to your heart and drawing you to himself. If you reject this time, then this window of opportunity may close and spiritual darkness and blindness may overtake you.
Jeremiah 13:15-16 ~ Hear ye, and give ear; be not proud: for the LORD hath spoken. Give glory to the LORD your God, before he cause darkness, and before your feet stumble upon the dark mountains, and, while ye look for light, he turn it into the shadow of death, and make it gross darkness.
- This is one of the most solemn fearful passages of scripture in the Bible. God says that we must give glory to him while we have the opportunity.
- If we do not take the opportunity given to us, then he will cause a horrible spiritual darkness to come upon us.
- In this state, we may actually find ourselves trying to find the light and really seeking after truth but we will only find the shadow of death and dense darkness.
- Oh fear the Lord and seek after him while you have the conviction! Seek him while there is still a chance. He desires you to find him but do not presume upon his kindness and put off seeking him, as that will certainly lead to eternal destruction and ruin.